136 E. Jefferson was built around 1892 on the land of William Walker, early Hayden homesteader. In 1895 James L. Norvell walked to Hayden from Rawlins with a bedroll and $3.00 in his pocket. He opened a mercantile around 1897, installing one of the first of three telephones in all of Routt county. He later opened a bar at the side of the store. Norvell sold his interest in the mercantile in 1916 and later this portion of the business closed in 1933. The business converted to a café and bar combination and a beautiful antique hand carved bar (originally from Germany) was added to the interior. This building is home to Colorado’s oldest place of business in continual operation.